Hey Everyone! It’s Olivia again.
As an intern you never know what you’ll be asked to do around the office or where you’ll have to go to run an errand. You have to be prepared for anything, mentally and physically. There’s nothing worse than being tired at work; it affects your work ethic, your mental reflexes, and your happiness. Why do that to yourself? Instead you should feel awake, eager, and ready to go!
So here are a few tips to keep you energized throughout the day:
1. Sleep: This is probably the most obvious, but sleep! Go to bed at a reasonable hour so you can A. wake up in the morning without feeling groggy and B. not feel tired throughout the day. Without sufficient sleep it is extremely hard to give it your all at work. Try different morning routines to find one that gets you up and going at the sound of your alarm.
My favorite morning pick-me-up is to put some tunes on and jump in the shower. I instantly feel awake and ready for my day!
2. Eat Right: Eating healthy and consistently is the way to go. Food is your fuel for the day so make a point to leave time in the morning for a big breakfast. A great morning meal is making whole grain toast, two eggs, and a little ham (this is maybe the only meal that holds me over until lunch). Speaking of lunch, whether you buy it or bring it, making sure you’re eating and drinking lots of water consistently throughout the day. As long as you’re fueled and hydrated there’s no reason for that 5 o’clock feel.
3. Take a Break: Taking a walk outside is a quick work refresher. The natural sunlight alerts your senses, while the fresh air and exercise gets your blood pumping. This combination leaves you feeling rejuvenated and ready for anything. If you’re overwhelmed with tasks and don’t have time to get out, taking a deep breath and stretching will do the trick as well.
4. Exercise: Again, exercise boosts your energy. It pumps oxygen and nutrients throughout your body, which allows you to work more quickly and efficiently. It’s also a great emotional lift! Physical activity leaves you feeling happier and more relaxed. The key with exercise is to get into a habit of going around a certain time. My trick is to bring my gym clothes with me to work, that way I can go straight from work to working out to maximize my time during the day!
5. Breath Mints: I know this sounds extremely random and weird, but mints are also a great energy booster! It is shown that peppermint and its scent is a natural pick-me-up. Peppermints are definitely an intern’s secret weapon for fighting fatigue.