Although there is still snow on the ground and the temperatures are below the degrees of COLD, fashion forecasters only had spring on the mind. Fashion Week went by in a flash, but started off with a bang thanks to ready-to-wear designers and major shows from Carolina Herrera, Tommy Hilfiger, and – celebrating her 30th anniversary on top in the fashion business – Donna Karan. Just as we forecasted, we saw all the latest spring 2014 trends we told you to look out for. What we did not anticipate though was how HOT the white-collar trend was going to be.
Every designer you could possibly think of at the top of your head sent their models down the runway in what seems to be this coming seasons must have: The White Collar. Tory Burch, Phillip Lim, Carolina Herrera, BCBG Max Azria, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, and that’s only naming a few. Everyone who is anyone put out the white-collar look in his or her collection and for good reason. People are raving, especially all of us here at The Hip Event. Every designer obviously had his or her own take on this seasons hottest trend. One style that really stood out to us was Ralph Lauren’s business in the 60’s look. It is very retro-esk yet still modern and hot. A simple black knitted dress with a pop of white at the collar. This black mini is sure to be seen all over the place once the line launches in stores.
Other fun and inventive looks that took the runway by storm this past week were the metallic and 3D designs. Marc Jacobs added a dark dazzle to his line with a shiny knee length dress. The blue sequin stripes over a black lace really had heads turning and jaws dropping. Another eye-popping look was sent down the runway at the Altuzarra show. The idea of the dress is a more laid-back evening look draped with liquid gold and silver separates. This look really sent the metallic trend into full swing this season.
One more trend that seems to be sticking around another year is the floral print. With designers like Tory Burch and Tommy Hilfiger revamping the look to keep up with this seasons hottest trends, it’s no wonder the look hasn’t faded away. The look is all easy, breezy, and fun if you ask us and it is also definitely something keeping our minds on the fact that spring is just around the corner.
We hope you enjoyed Fashion Week as much as we did. Always remember ladies, keep calm and style on!
Start getting excited ladies because it’s time for the most wonderful time of the year! That’s right fellow fashionistas, Mercedes-Benz kicks off Spring Fashion Week in New York today, February 6, 2014. There may be another 6 weeks left of winter, but the fashion world is ready to start looking ahead.
Fashion Week is always full of the most amazing and jaw dropping styles and outfits we could ever dream of seeing. Here is what you should be expecting to see during this seasons NY Fashion Week.
The Runway Report
Next we have the multi-layered sequin and crystals inspired “see it in 3D” trend that will be hitting the runway. These are the outfits that will really have you taking a second look and wondering how on earth anyone could pull it off. Trust us, the models make it look so easy. Some designers sending this look down the runway include Prada, Marc Jacobs, Vera Wang, and Dolce and Gabbana.
You know what they say; April showers bring May flowers! And you know this season’s collection is going to include a new spin on the ever so popular floral trend. The designers adding a new twist and a stellar vibe to the floral trend this season include Emporio Armani, Thakoon, and Stella McCartney.
Who doesn’t love a good fringe? Fringes are fun and flirty and have a way of picking up any mood. This dress by Calvin Klein really does a great job at showing how fringe is making a comeback and not coming back quietly. It is definitely a trend for those with a more boho-chic kind of style, but soon to be for anyone with any kind of style.
Rise and shine ladies, literally. We weren’t kidding when we said glam was a huge part of this season’s trends. Metallic and glitzed out dresses are really a hot commodity and only going to get hotter. To prove how hot it is, designers such as Givenchy, Saint Laurent, Fendi, and Tom Ford are all sending models down the runway in this season’s hottest trend. These are also dresses you could actually imagine wearing yourself, which is a huge plus for any of us ladies.
We have talked style, now let’s talk color. A huge color you will be seeing many times strutting its way down the runway is a blush tone. The greatest thing about a blush-toned color is that it can look fabulous on virtually any skin tone. Designers showing off this trend in their collection this season include Giorgio Armani, Thorton Bergazzi, Carven, and Tory Burch.
There are so many more styles and trends to look forward to that it is blowing our fashion loving minds. Other trends to keep an eye out for include the fold, pop art, and game time (sporty). When you see these looks making their way down the runway you will know exactly which one is which. Our prediction is that the metallic look will be the biggest trend of the season considering all the hottest designers will be sending it out on the runway. We don’t want to give away too much before the big week starts, but now you know exactly what to look out for.
Let’s all be honest here. Yes it’s fun to watch all the actual award shows, but who really pays attention to every detail for the full three-hour time span. What we all really care about is what our favorite stars are wearing. What we want to know who’s going to incorporate the most glitz and glam as part of their ensemble, who looks the classiest, who looks absolutely flawless, and who looks like they didn’t even look in the mirror. We have really noticed that the celebs that make their way onto the best-dressed lists are those wearing particular colors this season.
Red, white, and glam! The hottest trends this red carpet season has fallen along the lines of old Hollywood glamour. Red gowns have really made a comeback this season, exemplifying a bold and classy look for those stars who chose to rock it in red. Red is the color of sexy and can only be fully pulled off by those who wear it confidently. Who really made a lasting impression this season though was 12 Years a Slave star, Lupita Nyong’o. She became a style icon the second her foot hit the carpet at the Golden Globes and it was all because of the stunning red Ralph Lauren gown she wore.
Next we take a look at the warriors in white. Whoever said you can’t wear white after Labor Day is clearly behind on the latest trends of the season. Popular stars that have been glowing in white include Jennifer Lawrence, Kerry Washington, and Beyoncé. Some people are really worried weather or not they can pull of a white dress. White is the color that definitely looks best on those with a darker tone to their skin, but don’t let it stop you if you are on the more paler side. J.Law is definitely more on the paler side and she looked gorgeous in her white Dior gown at the Golden Globes. Just accent the look with a darker toned lipstick and you are good to go.
Now what is really making the biggest statement in our minds this season is the glam. Did you see the suit of armor Taylor Swift graced down the carpet in at the Grammy’s this past weekend? The Gucci metal dress really had everyone taking and double take and definitely for a worthy reason. Other stars that have been glamming up the carpet are Rita Ora and Chrissy Teigen, both have which landed a spot on the best-dressed list of the season. Going glam may be a risky decision and it all depends on the event, but when it comes to a red carpet affair, glam is sure to make a lasting impression.
So keep your eye out on this trend because we still have the Oscars coming up and the Red Carpet is sure to be full of red, white, and glam.
According to Cosmopolitan’s Simone N. Sneed, a career strategist and social entrepreneur, there are five promising pieces of advice we could all benefit from using at work. Listed below are his findings to be a stronger link in your career chain.
1. Take advantage of educational opportunities.
“Does your company offer an employee assistance program? Take the initiative and reach out to your human resources department or your supervisor and ask him or her to walk you through all the professional development opportunities available to you. Whether it’s a free workshop that will teach you computer coding or reimbursements for college tuition, many employers want to keep hardworking people. Show them you’re worth the investment and stay sharp for future opportunities.”
2. Build better relationships with your co-workers.
“Just because you have a job doesn’t mean that you’re done networking. Most people spend at least 40 hours per week at work, so the people you work with are a huge part of your life. Use your time with your colleagues to build relationships, ask about their interests, and learn about their families. When you deepen your workplace connections, you increase the likelihood that your name will come up first when a new opportunity arises.”
3. Show off your other skills.
“The best way to keep your job is to prove you’re valuable. Maybe you were hired to manage the social media accounts, but you also have experience working in sales or volunteer management. These experiences can be great pathways to job stability. When a new project starts, offer all your skill sets, not just the ones you were hired for.”
4. Remember that your culture is an advantage.
“More than ever, companies are racing to catch up with the evolving American workforce and consumer markets. Your unique perspective as a Latina woman in America is becoming increasingly valuable. If your workplace has a multicultural affinity group, don’t just join it — lead it.”
5. Establish your own professional brand.
“It doesn’t matter if you are an advertising executive, an accountant, or a bank teller — you need to build your own brand. Keep your social media accounts up to date, start a blog or website about something that interests you, and always be mindful of how you portray yourself online, because many employers check your social media accounts.”
List provided by Cosmopolitan Magazine's Simone N. Sneed, career strategist and social entrepreneur.
1. Treat yourself to healthier meals
2. Light candles
3. Catch up on Magazines
4. Play music
5. Take a bath
6. Give and get a massage from your significant other
7. Brew your own loose leaf tea
8. Buy a new robe from Brookstone, they’re too comfy not to!
9. Embrace nap-time…
10. …with cucumbers on your eyes for 15
11. Make a fruit smoothie
12. Do an at home deep-condition hair treatment
13. Warm-up your lotion before applying
15. LED Lamps are reasonably priced at CVS for an at-home gel mani
16. Soak your feet in green tea
17. Dance the night away, the way you can only do in your bedroom
18. Try a facial mask
19. Unplug: Phone, Internet, TV free for 24 hours
20. Curl up with a good book
21. Give yourself quiet time: Meditate
22. Do a work-out tape
23. Heat your towels and robe by throwing them in the dryer for 10 minutes
24. Use essential oils on your skin (Hint: Vitamin E recommended)
25. And finally…
2014 is a countdown away,Here are some suggestions to keep life fun, light and sweet.
- You’re never too old to Play: There is science behind the adage that “Couples who play together, stay together.”
- Embrace Laughter: Go to a comedy show or just watch more comedy movies, laughter is still the best medicine and laughing together builds relationships.
- Learn to Listen: You can’t listen if you’re talking and often times we can benefit from really hearing another point of view.
- Practice Faith: Regardless of the religion, couples who practice faith often stay together longer and are more satisfied according to Psychology Today. Believing in something greater or even practicing Buddhism boosts togetherness.
- “I Love You, More”: Even though we might already know our significant other loves us, increasing messages of affection improves the health of a relationship.
- Keep the Cell Phone at Home: Studies show that the presence of a cell phone on the table, even if untouched, decreases the satisfaction of the conversation.
- Work your Imperfections: Knowing and accepting imperfections will make you a stronger more efficient person allowing you to better yourself and be happier.
- Take Vitamins: Proven and powerful, vitamins are a natural way to be a better you!
With resolutions on the mind for a new year, The Hip Event would like to send a healthy, happy holiday wish your way. Here are some of our best wishes for you in the New Year…
- Be Well: Eat Healthy to feel healthy as food reflects in our mood.
- Find your Namaste: Kickboxing? Pilates? Hot Yoga? Whatever brings you peace of mind and pushes you to be a better you!
- Be a Book Worm: Whether it’s the Oprah book list, joining a book club or browsing Barns and Noble- stay alert with a book.
- Learn something: Make a new meal, find a catch phrase in a different language or pick up an instrument you’ve always wanted to learn. It’s never to late to get in touch with yourself in a new way.
- Find Time: Plan ahead for a date a month with your girlfriends somewhere you’ve never been-try a day at a winery!
- Invest in Yourself First: Open a savings account and put a small portion of your paycheck away every week! This will add up and you’ll be glad you did.
- Get Organized: Have you heard about the Neat Scanner? Visit www.neat.com to combine all those business cards in an online document that will change your life! Tidy your closet as well, small things make a big difference.
- Get Om in Nature: Proven to relax the mind and calm the clutter of life, find seclusion by yourself in nature and appreciate all the beauty around you everyday.
- Upgrade: If you have the same flip phone, take the leap and upgrade to a smart phone. Invest in Brita and find out what all the buzz is about. Change is the only thing that’s consistent so go with the flow!
- Subscribe: To Psychology Today, National Geographic or Entrepreneur Magazine and learn something valuable every month.
A forensic artist was supplied with a drafting board and asked to sketch the same women twice as described by themselves and a stranger and the outcomes are surprising. In this inspirational piece you can see how confidence can literally depict the picture you paint to the world around you. The bottom line is you are more beautiful than you think, and we agree. Let’s up our confidence this New Year and resolve to show the world a more beautiful picture of ourselves.